Wednesday, July 20, 2011

. . . the universe is a coherent whole and you are indivisible from it. ~Children of Dune

and by this I mean, even when we don't think we're networking - we're networking. I'm on facebook, LinkedIn, member of the California Library Association and am on their listserv, and taking enough professional development courses through Infopeople that it can officially be called networking now. But I have to say that I don't think librarians network as well as marketers or public relations or business people do on LinkedIn. Or maybe it's just me.

A while ago I read something like, community used to be who you directly lived by, worked with, family, friends - it was local, physical. Now, with online networks like facebook and LinkedIn and listservs and online learning -- our communities are huge, non-local, asynchronous, and virtual. I can communicate on a casual level with members of my extended family in another country without batting an eye. I can share what I made for dinner or a funny sign or my new shoes - no matter how silly someone might think it is, it's important to be able to share your ordinary daily activities with people across great distances. It's the cheapest and easiest communication I've yet to see.

And as for networking - I've met some terrific information professionals/librarians over the years and it's great to be able to stay connected to them and pick their brains or seek professional advice or just comment on their new job. Having moved so much in my life, I love staying connected to everyone. I love social media/networking sites. As for Google+ - sure! Why not?

And finally, yes, facebook is the backyard bbq and LinkedIn is the office - most definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment