Friday, July 1, 2011

What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? ~Orange Catholic Bible

Having a consistent brand is a great idea. I have some ideas but without real graphic talent, it's hard to convey in the way I want. I try to maintain clean lines and bold colors with my blogs and other sites. You can certainly see a style, if not absolute consistency. But then again, that's me talking. I wonder what others see when they peruse them - or if they ever peruse them together. So, let's try this . . . here is my webpage - tell me what you think. Do I convey well? Between the webpage and the blog, is there something I should not have? Or that I should have?

On the concept of a good photo - I couldn't agree more. I have a cartoon on this blog because all of my photos are personal. I need a nice professional picture to upload. I'm on that this weekend.

As far as the name of the blog - that took a while to figure out. I have had a few blogs and have tried to maintain some sort of consistent theme with them and it made them much easier to conceptualize. I've got to keep it fun for myself or I won't keep up with it - so at some point we have to merge our personalities into our professional presence. I believe that with the Internet we have to consider everything we post as being "public" so trying to keep worlds separate is probably not going to last very long. That being said, I do keep my facebook upbeat and funny and not all "emo" and dramatic. I don't ever discuss work on facebook unless it's a funny quip about a strange reference question or something light. I think organizations are itching to find ways to let people go without laying them off (for statistical reasons) and I don't want to give them any fuel for that action! AND it just isn't fun to read the postings of someone who always drones on about how horrible their life and job are.

Googling myself was funny. I have a very common name - especial for male wrestlers, football players, the guy who stole that tank, some guy who won a reality tv show . . . the list goes on. My name is Shawn E Townsend or Shawn T Nelson (former married name). The latter is what I am published under from graduate school so I could find some good library-related things there. But not the former. I had a good laugh, though. It did certainly remind me that I need to make my professional online presence known. So, thank you cpd23. :)

1 comment:

  1. good article about deleting what's overly available on the 'net and our relationship with memory: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/30/remember-delete-forget-digital-age

    ReplyDelete