Monday, October 24, 2011

"Empires do not suffer emptiness of purpose at the time of their creation. It is when they have become established that aims are lost and replaced by vague ritual." --Words of Muad'dib by Princes Irulan



I've taken a bit of a break from this blog over the last month or so to concentrate on my new job. I'm a little more settled, so I'm finishing up my 23 Things.

Thing 15: I've attended a number of conferences in various capacities: one-day passes, exhibits pass only, a wandering attendee, a serious session-oriented attendee, a poster presenter, and a research assistant working to get as many presenters to upload their presentations to me for a digital library.

It's way more fun to be relevant at a conference than to just be wandering the edges.

I've always been interested in sitting on a panel at a conference - I think I have a lot to say on many different topics (collection development, staffing, library school, working within your larger organization, marketing) and would love to add to a group discussion.

As for planning - I've never planned a conference. I have gotten a few groups together but they always ended up falling through at some point - busy schedules, reassignments, loss of interest. I am now head up a committee to plan a staff day for my library and I'm so excited about it. Staff days are a luxury now that many libraries have given up trying to schedule, plan, and implement such an undertaking with staff shortages and no budget. But it's still important to come together and re-establish yourselves as a team, do fun things together, laugh, and do some good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment