Monday, October 31, 2011

“Truth suffers from too much analysis.” ― Dune Messiah


I just experienced this "thing" and I experienced it differently than I had in the past. What I mean is, it was quite successful. I had been working in a position that was stalled and I wanted to move forward in my career. But we all know what this job market is like -- either there is nothing open at all, or there is nothing you particularly want. I had been applying to some academic positions for the last few months, but you know how academic librarianship is .... you apply, then about six months later, you might find out that you didn't get it. So, in the middle of all of this, there is this job opening that sounds absolutely perfect -- like heaven -- like my life would be perfect if only I could get this perfect job. No seriously, it was that perfect. So, I decided to follow all the advice I had gotten on this job -- I catered the resume to the job posting; I completely catered the cover letter to the job posting, even though it didn't say necessarily what I thought I wanted to say; I studied for the first interview like it was my MA orals exam; and then I studied for the second interview the same way. And I got sleep and relaxed. And I knew that I had a job so if I didn't get this job, I would still be able to eat and pay my bills. (that's a huge weight off) And then, at the end of my second interview, I said very clearly that I wanted this job and that I felt I was perfect for it .... and I meant it. 

I don't know what got me this job -- but I'm just glad I made every effort because I am currently doing the things I've always wanted to do. It's a ton of work, but it's worth it -- and I love it. And once I get a little more comfortable with what exactly I'm doing, I'll update my resume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment