Monday, October 24, 2011

"You do not take from this universe. It grants what it will." -Paul Atreides


Thing 20: I've talked about my long and winding road to librarianship in Thing 10, and I think my only advice to students is don't limit yourself. I was adamantly pursuing academic librarianship when I took a temp position in public libraries because I needed a job and no one else at the time was hiring. I told the interviewer that I did not want to do anything but adult - she made me a children's librarian! Then I got a permanent position as an adult librarian. Several months later, when asked if I wanted to try being a teen librarian, I said sure! Why not? Then got into collection development for the system. In the end, I love public librarianship. I love the variety and wackiness of it. The public is very interesting ..... never boring. I'm glad I ended up having to do something that was out of my little box of expectations. I'm a better person for it. 

So, don't limit yourself. Try not to limit yourself geographically either. Just go get a job. Get three if you have to. Just do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment